Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Shreded Stick Returns

I’m not sure if any of you remember but about a year ago I went to San Francisco and for a fun little trip. I came home with all kinds of treats including a bag of something called “Shreded Stick”. I had no idea what they where so I had no idea how to make them.

Well fast-forward to a year later and I happen to be enrolled in a Food Science class. My professor Dr. Tyler Avis is a pro when it comes to food science. So I decided to ask him what he thought they might be. Here’s what he came up with:

“B?t khoai màu is apparently Vietnamese for: coloured potato starch.
b?t = starch, flour

khoai = potato or sweet potato

màu = colour

I'm guessing that you put it in boiling water, something like pasta.It can't only be potato starch since 4 tbsp (80 g) = 108 Cal. If it was only starch is would be 80 g x 4 Cal/g = 320 Cal per serving.”
Basically he’s still not sure how one eats it, but he’s pretty sure that they’re eatable and that they’re pretty strange. I’ll keep you posted if I find out more.

Click here to check out the origional post.

CC

2 comments:

Kimber said...

These aren't the things you deep-fry in oil and they balloon up to 4 times their original size, are they? My mother used to cook some sort of Asian starchy stuff for fun when we were kids and that's what it looked like...of course, I don't want you to try and it and light your test kitchen on fire!

Chris Stewart said...

Are you kidding, setting the test kitchen on fire is a great idea (and I'm not being sarcastic at all) I never even thought of hot oil. I was planning on just adding a bit of hot water but now I'm going to try the hot oil thing too. Thanks Kimber!