Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What is the Ultimate Japanese Treat (French Pastries)

The French really know how to make pastries. Sure you may think this is a strange way to start a piece about the Ultimate Japanese Treat, but it’s true. It’s also true that the Japanese people (at least here in Tokyo) really seem to have a thing for French pastries.

In every store, bakery, and department store, you’re sure to see many great French styled treats, and the Japanese people seem to eat it up. So just because a culture enjoys and produces treats from another culture does that make French pastries Japanese? The thing is many cultures mix and match they’re styles with foreign foods to make them their own, and Japan is no different. I’ve seen many interesting French treats with Japanese twists, often green tea or red bean is the added.
Even if I was to accept the idea that French treats made here are Japanese, and in many cases they may twist a few ingredients to make them their own. The problem with saying that French pastries are the "Ultimate Japanese Treat" for me is that it’s too broad a category. What I want to know about is which French treats are popular or which have been around the longest before I can even consider one to be the “Ultimate Japanese Treat”

What do you think is the "Ultimate Japanese Treat", is it French?

CC

2 comments:

Jim said...

I don't know about French pastries as treats. Do cakes count too then?

Chris Stewart said...

I've been trying to figure that out, I'm going to include some in the book but if I have to cut down they may be the first to go.