Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What is the Ultimate Japanese Treat (Pocky?)

So here I am in Tokyo doing a book about candy and the question I’ve had the whole time is what is the ultimate Japanese treat. I’ve taken the first few weeks of my trip just wondering around looking and observing. I have no complete answer as of yet but I’m starting to get a few ideas.
My first inclination is to look at Pocky. The reason I look at Pocky is because it’s not only Japanese but it’s becoming the Japanese treat known all over the world. But does global recognition make it the Ultimate Japanese treat?
Here in Japan you do find it in just about every store on every corner. In all the major intersections there are adds for it everywhere, both on giants TV’s and on billboards. I’m guessing it’s pretty popular here.
I guess what I’m wondering is just because a candy is popular does that make it the ultimate Japanese treat, how do things like tradition play into the mix?

Let me know what you think is the ultimate Japanese treat, is it Pocky?


CC

2 comments:

Pocky Lover said...

Pocky Rules!

Chris Stewart said...

It does rule, but I'm not sure if it's the coolest Japanese candy I've seen on my trip.