Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Belgian Candy Windows - Fruity Cones

The widows of the chocolate shops in Belgium are spectacular, almost as spectacular as the chocolates themselves.  The level of competition between the chocolate shops in this country is staggering, so you would imagine they put a lot of effort towards their windows to attract customers.  For the next two weeks I'm going to show you some of the great themes and ideas I came across while searching out my chocolate paradise.
I'm not sure what these little cones of fruity goodness are called, but boy are they tasty.  It seems that many chocolate stores offer these as a chocolate alternative.  I couldn't really figure out why they would need a chocolate alternative, but I guess there are some people that come to Belgium and they're not interested in chocolate...  If anybody has more information on these little cones I'd appreciate it, all I know is they did contribute some nice colour contrast to the often brown and white chocolate windows.

CC

4 comments:

Rlyn said...

I just returned from Bruges and Brussels and I'm obssessed by them. I'm trying to locate them online but all I come across are the fruit jellies rolled in sugar. These have such a delectable coating that's not overly sweet. I guess the search continues....!

Chris Stewart said...

From what I know, the problem with shipping them is that they're too delicate. The bigger problem is that no one seems to be making them outside of Belgium. This is truly one of the hardships of food you find when you travel.

Anonymous said...

It is a sweet with many names, but officially, it is called a cuberdon.

They have a short shelf-life, as the insides tend to start to crystallize into sugar after two or three weeks. This is the reason why they are not exported and can only be found in Belgium.

Chris Stewart said...

Thanks for the info. I wonder if they're a Belgium exclusive or if they're made anywhere else.