Friday, March 30, 2012

Treats From Thessaloniki - Scoopy French Fries

Last week I got back from a fun adventure to the city of Thessaloniki.  It's the second largest city in Greece, many consider it to be the cultural hub of Greece, but I would also consider it the baking capital of Greece.  It's not hard to argue that this city has some of the best food in the whole country, yet it's very surprising that more tourists don't come and visit. All this week I've decided that I'm going to highlight some of the food adventures I had on my epic adventure.  Most of the treats featured will be sweet, but not all of them.  What I can guarantee is by the time you read all of these adventures, you might consider a stop in Thessaloniki on your Greek vacation.
For my last post about the wonderful treats I found in Thessaloniki I wanted to get away from sweets.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning off sweets, I just thought I'd mention that Thessaloniki also has some great savory foods as well.  Many of the restaurants are spectacular, and the quality of the ingredients in most places is better than many other restaurants in Greece.  Strangely though, my favorite savory food find on this trip was a french fry.  More importantly the french fries from Patatesfritas near the main square.
Two features of this place really stood out for me.  The first feature has to be the shape of their fries.  Instead of giving you the standard straight cut potato, Patatesfritas offers little scoops designed specifically to scoop up your choice of sauces.  The second feature that I really loved was their mayonnaise sauce.  This sauce appears to be a blend of mayonnaise and some kind of cream (yogurt maybe).  It really cut down the oily texture and flavour you get from regular mayonnaise and cooled down my hot fries perfectly.

CC

No comments: