Monday, April 16, 2012

Her Royal Highness's Choice of Soda

Did you know that many royal families officially endorse products.  There's great debate on this subject, because many people assume that the royal family involved actually produces most products they endorse and profit from it.  So that's basically these families using the status that the state gives them as a promotional tool to make them money.  I frankly don't really care that much about that.  What I always wonder is how these particular royals actually feel about the product.  Does the Queen of Finland actually eat the chocolates she endorses, does the princess in Sweden actually eat the cakes named for her?  Most importantly, does the Queen of England actually drink this soda pop?
While shopping at our local grocery store the other day (in Greece strangely enough), Allison and I came across Britvic soda.  According to the can this drink is made "by appointment to H M Queen Elizabeth II".  So if I ever pay a visit to Buckingham Palace (like that's ever going to happen), is this the soda I get to drink?
It's a good thing I sampled a few of these because the flavour is fairly surprising.  The Bitter Lemon, is actually fairly bitter.  I enjoyed this a lot, even though it only offered a small 150 ml taste.  It's nice to occasionally drink something that isn't super sweet and sticky.
The Ginger Ale on the other hand is, as it says, spicy, not hot but spicy.  I'm not a big fan of spicy drinks, so I didn't really care for it as much as the lemon.  I'm not sure if Ginger Ale was originally spicy when it was invented, so I'm not sure if this is more authentic or not.  If any member of the British royal family is reading this, please let me know if you actually drink this stuff.

CC

No comments: