Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Which bean is better?

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I'm posting an article I wrote when I was trying to decide which Jelly Belly I should review in Candy Critic.
It's not often I avoid doing a candy review for any other reason than I'm afraid to eat it. You'd know what I meant if you'd ever eaten a salted plum covered in tamarind candy. There is one treat that I have been avoiding for another reason, the Jelly Belly. I get lots of e-mails from people telling me that I should review them, and I agree, my problem is which flavor to review? There are so many varieties of Jelly Belly that if I reviewed them all it could be a web page to itself.  For now I've decided I'm going  to pick just one.

So how do I go about it? Well here's my plan, the first thing I've done is pick out 6 flavors I (or others) find intriguing or to be a favorite. I'll taste each one and pick out my choice. Sure maybe your favorite isn't in this selection, but I ask you, where were you when I was in the candy store at 9 pm sweating over the bulk bins (I mean sweating in a figurative way).

So here goes, and maybe some day I will attempt to try them all, particularly if someone from Jelly Belly is reading this and is willing to send me samples of every flavor.

Caramel Corn

I picked this flavour because the buttered popcorn flavor has always intrigued me, and I figured these where a new and improved version.

Although they do taste kind of cool, the coolest part of the flavor is the popcorn. I couldn't really say that I taste any caramel, although they do seem a little sweeter than the regular popcorn.

Chocolate Pudding

I picked this flavor for no other reason than I really enjoy chocolate pudding. Sure it's not the most sensible reason, but this is a candy web site, and sensibility generally takes a back seat.

Having just had a bowl of chocolate pudding I can easily say that this is no chocolate pudding. I think it could use a bit of a stronger flavor, something a little more chocolaty. It just taste weak.

Juicy Pear

This particular flavor is one I would have never picked myself. First of all I'm against the idea of candy being called juicy, unless it has some kind of juice in it. Secondly pears just don't seem that exciting to me. The reason I got these was I asked the folks that worked at the candy store where I bought them, which flavor was the best, and they recommended them to me.

It's strange, it does taste like pear, and I like pears, but it also taste really strange. This is a great example of a strange but not horrible flavour.

Peanut Butter

So why did I pick peanut butter? Well that's simple, because Ronald Reagan apparently loved these things, and if there's one man I want to be associated with it's him... Well maybe not.

I don't get why some treats say they taste like peanuts and some say peanut butter, don't they taste the same. It's not like their full of peanut butter, and in the case of these treats, many don't really taste like peanuts at all.

Buttered Popcorn

To say that this is my favorite flavor right off the bat wouldn't be true, but to say that this flavor really intrigues me, is absolutely true. For years I've loved the idea of popcorn flavored Jelly Bellies and to this day I can't figure out why.

To be honest I don't think they're going to win for best flavor, but as a guy who eats a lot of fake flavors every day, this one really interest me. The thing is, it's kind of accurate. For the life of me I can't say why I'm so crazy over a fake butter flavor, but I am.

Tutty Fruity

"A womp babalomba a womp bamboo". Tutty Fruity is pretty good. I can't really complain that it doesn't taste like a “Tutty Fruit” because only Little Richard, knows how they taste, and I'm way too afraid to ask.

Basically these taste a little like Bubble Gum, and I don't mind at all. They also win on coolest looking Jelly Belly.

So what choice have I made?

Well the best flavor, taste wise, was the Tutty Fruity. It was fun, simple and looks cool too. The problem right now is a conflict I have with Buttered Popcorn, I just find that flavor to be so interesting and strange. I can't really make up my mind. Looks like a coin toss is in order, here goes. Heads Tutty Fruity, tales Buttered Popcorn. The winner is Buttered Popcorn.

CC

No comments: