Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Reese plus what? (Part 1)

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week is part one of an article I wrote about what to pair with your Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
While reading a forum that I frequent, an interesting candy question came up. The idea is simple but the answer is so complicated Stephen Hawking's would be boggled. The question is this:

“What goes with Reese peanut butter cups?”

Sure we all have opinions, but you have to look at this scientifically through scientific eyes. You have to try eating a whole bunch of cups with different things and see for sure. So this is my plan. The following is a list of ways that I ate my cups in order of worst to best (this week being the worst, next week being the best). I based everything off the feelings I had eating a cup all by itself, and then decided if the pairing is better or worse, and how much better or worse. Sure it sounds complicated but all I know is I have a lot of cups to eat and that can't be bad... right?

12 of 12 - A cup and some OJ

Nothing gets my morning going better than a cool glass of Orange Juice. How well does this cup of OJ go with a peanut butter cup? The answer is not well at all. The only thing that I can say that was good about this particular experience is the fact that the juice doesn't leave much of an after taste, so I don't have to suffer as I get through the last little bits of Peanut Butter cup.

11 of 12 - Dipped in a tall glass of Milk

The milk really doesn't stick to the chocolate at all when you dip it into your glass. So other than a bit of a white film the cup remained basically untouched. However after dipping it in the milk I took a big swig and man it really cleared and refreshed my whole mouth. I'm pretty sure that means that the cups aren't good dipped in milk but rather they're good with a swig of milk after eating a cup.

10 of 12 - With Tea

And I don't mean Mister T... Out of all of the other attempts to enjoy a Reese cup this one has to be the classiest. I like that I can interject a little class into the site now and again, it makes me feel like putting on a monocle and top hat. As far as how it affected the peanut butter cup, that's pretty simple, scalding hot water and chocolate, it melted several layers of chocolate instantly and almost made it down to the peanut butter in seconds. Unfortunately the tea (a hazelnut flavour) is also too strong to allow the chocolate flavour to really have any effect either. So I just slightly melted a peanut butter cup and ate it.

9 of 12 - Just a cup, all by itself.

What can I say; it's a Reese Peanut Butter Cup. A classic treat with just the right amount of peanut butter inside. For the purposes of this article, this is what I'll call the median of this tasting experiment. All by itself, it's pretty good, but let's see if it can be improved upon by adding something else, who knows maybe the cup is as good as it gets.

8 of 12 - Pudding

For this treat I did a little something special. While making the pudding seen in this photo, I decided to prepare the peanut butter cup in advance, and let the pudding actually set on the cup. To be honest, it really didn't do anything special. Texture wise the pudding was nice, cool, and balanced well with the slightly dry peanut butter. But flavour wise the vanilla pudding had no hope. I couldn't taste anything but peanut butter and chocolate. Having said that it didn't take anything away from the cup either.

7 of 12 - Peanut Butter Cup and Jam

This is one of the ideas that someone had to suggest, but I'm amazed I didn't think of it a long time ago. It seems so obvious to put jam on a peanut butter cup, a fine suggestion. It's not bad either, although for those that don't like sweet things, you might not like it too much. Me I think it's OK; the jam gives a little more moisture to the peanut butter cup that can be a little dry at times. It also adds a nice little flavour, although I may have put a little too much jam on mine because it killed the peanut butter a bit. All three of these flavours are well known to work together (I used strawberry jam) so success was a sure thing.

Stay tuned next week to find out the top 6 treats that worked very well with my Reese Peanut Butter Cups...

CC

No comments: