Monday, July 16, 2012

This Week In Candy


Candy News - The heat is pretty much all of the news this week.  All over the world new heat records are being set, so what does that have to do with candy?  Well first of all with high heat records, ice cream is really the business to be in right now.  I imagine that Ben and Jerry's, Haagen Dazs, and Baskin Robins will have a pretty good year.  But I also want to point out that there are a few candy companies in the world trying to work greener, and trying to keep the world a little cooler for future generation.  I wonder if any ice cream companies would go green to help stop global warming?

What's Happening At Candy Critic - All this weeks we're going to feature an American food... well a food that Europeans feel is American.  Last week I went shopping at our local Lidl grocery store where they had an American themed sale.  I picked up a few things and I'll show you what I got.  Also, next week we're going to have a British Candy Review-a-Thon, to celebrate the opening ceremonies for the Olympic games in London.

Rant - The other night I was questioned about my ability to be a Candy Critic.  It was taken into question as to whether or not I had the proper training or skill set to do this job.  I've never been to culinary school, although I have taken a food science class in university.  I've never worked in a place that makes candy, distributes candy, and other than a brief stint in a comic shop that sold some candy as well, the retail end is fairly out of my experience range.  So, what then makes me qualified to review candy?  I'm not sure, the two things I can point out are my ability to write, take pictures, and present my feelings on the subject.  I also have a passion, a passion that goes well beyond many others (at least I imagine).  I don't just think about candy as a sweet fix, I love the look, the history, and the process of manufacturing candy.  I love how it's sold, I love how it's used in media, and I even love the controversy.

CC

No comments: