Monday, July 30, 2012

This Week In Candy

Candy News -  With the Olympics in full swing, a great deal of candy news is about how candy companies and candy makers are routing for their home teams.  Cadbury seems to have the most on the subject, but that could be because they're an official sponsor and they even have a Cadbury village set up in London for the games.  But they're not the only ones, all kinds of candy companies, large and small, are rooting for their home teams, and it's fantastic.

What's Happening At Candy Critic -  Two things to mention this week.  First of all, I just got back from an awesome trip to Kalamata and Sparta (in Greece).  These two places are extremely famous for their olives and olive oils.  I'm sure some of you have seen Kalamata olives available at super markets, well this is where they're grown.  They're not a breed of olive, but in fact they're the place where they grow.  I'll have a couple posts later this week about my adventures.  Also, a reminder that we're running a contest right now that could net you a couple of Sour Patch Kids t-shirts and a bunch of candy.  Check out how you can win here.

Rant -  I love the Olympics.  While the strange sports that you only get to see during the Olympics are great, the real reason I love the Olympics is the patriotism.  Even some candy companies produce special edition treats just for the Olympics, and these treats are often decorated with their countries colours and flags.  I think candy companies should be more proud of their heritage, and I think patriotic candy should be around all of the time.  I'm not just saying this about Canadian sweets either.

CC

No comments: