Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What Do American's Eat? - Part 2 - Crunchy Peanut Butter

All this week I'm going to be featuring "American" items that I found in a European grocery store (Lidl) during a sale they had featuring American products.
Peanut butter, some of you don't give it a second thought, others of you aren't really sure why so many people don't give it a second thought.  I've discovered in my travels that many people outside of North America don't really get the appeal of peanut butter.  It seems strange to people in North America because it's really part of our every day.

Now you may have noticed that I've been using the words "North America" when describing this treat.  While peanut butter is very popular in the USA, it's not necessarily an American invention.  In fact I should probably change "North America" to just "the Americas" because peanut butter's origins can be traced back to the Aztecs.  Even stranger, the modern smooth incarnation of peanut butter was said to patented by a Canadian (Marcellus Gilmore Edson), and not George Washington Carver, and many American's might think.

CC

2 comments:

plasterers bristol said...

I love peanut butter and i'm from the UK

Chris Stewart said...

I think you might be a minority. Many of my UK friends aren't big fans.