Monday, September 08, 2014

Canadian Candy List - Part 7 - Varieties

Over the last few years I've been living away from my home country, Canada.  I've been traveling the world exploring all kinds of snack foods, junk foods, and sweets, but my heart is still in Canada.  I'm going to be back home for an extended period, and I've decided to compile various lists on the theme of Canadian candy and snacks.  Each week, for the next several weeks, I'll be posting a different list of Canadian candies I've reviewed in various categories.  Some of these treats may be available in other parts of the world, some are exclusive to the Great White North, but in my mind all of them are Canadian.

All over the world we're seeing candy companies produce treats (bars mostly) with limited edition versions.  I call this candy of treat, a "variety".  Some classic Canadian treats have also come out with different varieties, some are great, some not so great.

 Caramilk is most certainly a Canadian classic candy bar.  Most Canadians would probably put it in their top 10 list of favorite Canadian treats.  To attempt to affirm their Canadian status even more, Cadbury came out with a maple flavoured Caramilk.  You can tell by the review that it didn't really work very well, but at least I felt a little more patriotic eating it.

Click here to read the Caramilk Maple review.
I had a Mr Big faze in my life when I was a kid.  A time where this bar was the end and be all of my candy eating life.  It was short run, and today I'm not really a huge fan of these.  Adding more chocolate flavour didn't improve my opinion either.

Click here to read the Mr. Big "Double Dunk" review.
 This is probably the most Canadian variety of any candy ever.  Not only does it have a maple flavour, the log of fudge in the center was coloured red and white.  Canadians are not really known for being overly patriotic, but this bar is the exception to that rule.  Personally I would rather eat this than wave a flag any day.

Click here to read the Oh Henry "Oh Canada" review.
For a while Smarties got into the chocolate bar market (Maybe they still are, I haven't been paying attention).  For the most part it didn't really work out.  After all, the best thing about Smarties is the crunchy candy shell, and the fun colours.  They attempted to try to improve these bars by adding different centers (instead of chocolate) to the middle of the Smarties. Frankly I would have rather just had a handful of peanut butter Smarties instead.

Click here to read the Smarties Bar "Peanut Butter" review.
Americans don't really understand the pure joy of Cadbury products.  There's something really great about the way they take high quality ingredients, and occasionally do really creative and strange things with them.  These popping Mini Eggs are a great example of that.

Click here to read the Mini Eggs Popping review.


CC

No comments: