Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Cool Candy Thing

So why is the world better for kids today than it was when I was a kid?  It can all be summed up with this t-shirt.  When I was a little kid there was an offer to get yourself a Nerds t-shirt.  To get this t-shirt you had to send a bunch of proofs of purchase, and a large sum of money (at least large for a 5 year old kid).  Then you had to wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.  There were no other options to buy Nerds t-shirts, stores did not carry candy themed clothing, you could only get it through the mail.

Well I saved my proofs of purchased and saved my allowance, and with the help of my dad, I sent everything away.  As it turns out there was a problem with the mail, and delivery of my shirt was delayed to twelve weeks.  I was a young growing boy determined to get my t-shirt.  The problem here was that I was "growing", and growing rather quickly.  By the time my shirt arrived it was too small for me.  I didn't know how to return the shirt, and my parents didn't really realize the problem. So I've never had a Nerds t-shirt that fit me, even though I saved for it.  I still have the shirt, it's very small, but out of principle I keep it.  Maybe I'll give it away to someone, maybe I'll see if it can be re-purposed into something I can use.

But this is why kids are so lucky today, a couple of click of a button and the Nerds shirt will be at your door in no time.

CC

No comments: